Dr. Veena Gupta is the Head, Division of Germplasm Conservation, ICAR-National Bureau of Plant Genetic Resource, New Delhi.
- Seed germination ecology, Germination behaviour and dormancy breaking techniques in indigenous Medicinal and Aromatic plants. The salient achievements are as follows:
- Development of Agro-Technology : Cultivation practices for medicinal and aromatic plants have been standardized in case of Aloe barbedensis, Andrographis paniculata and Mucuna pruriens.
- Introduction of promising germplasm through Exchange Division included 26 accessions in 9 fruit crops viz., in Prunus persica ( EC-387510 var. SUNREYER, EC-387511 var. SUNCOAST, EC-389180), in Citrus (breeding line U-145), in Mango (EC-389087), in Averrhoa (EC-389088-097), in Passion fruit (EC-398098), in Brassica (EC-389914-18 oil type), in Strawberry (EC-388591 var. REDGEM), in Ribes (EC-390174-180) and in Malus (EC-391010 var. PRISTINE ).
- Standard seed germination algorithms and dormancy breaking protocols were developed for indigenous medicinal and aromatic plants. The important one are viz., Abrus precatorius, Abutilon indicum, Abelmoschus moschatus, Acacia concinna, Glycyrrhiza glabra, Mucuna pruriens, Indigofera tinctoria, Plantogo ovata and other species, Solanum viarum, Caesalpinia sappans and species, Cardiospermum halicacabum, Centratherum anthelminticum, Helicteres isora and Cassia species.
- Seed Storage Behaviour in Unexplored Medicinal Plants was investigated in medicinal and aromatic plants. Nyctanthes arbor-tristis and Baliospermum montanum possessed intermediate seed storage behaviour while Aegle marmelos, Wrightia tinctoria, Solanum viarum and Psoralea corylifolia exhibited orthodox type of seed storage behaviour
WNRF-Outstanding Research Scientist Award on Noni-2015 on Dr. Veena Gupta during the Second World Noni Congress to be held at SRM University, Kattankulathur, Chennai on 5 & 7 December, 2015